Objectives of the tests:
- Assess performance of TEQOYA ioniser in a room representative of real-life situations (most of the times air purifiers are assessed in testbed of smaller size than real-life rooms, and the electrical properties of their walls are not always representatives of materials used in buildings)
- Measure both the particles removal performance, and the emission of potential toxic by-products some ionisers produce (ozone O3 and nitrogen oxides NOx)
- TEQOYA ionisers were tested in a large room of 30m2 surface area (80m3 volume). Complementary tests were run in a smaller room of 13m2 surface area (32.5m3 volume) to evaluate the consistency of overall results.
- Controlled emission of particles was done with cigarette smoke, because it is representative of the size and components of urban pollution (cars, industry, indoor sources), and because the amount of particles emitted can be closely controlled.
- The measurement apparatus is state-of-the-art (granulometer Dekati/ELPI and ozone analyzer SA/O342M).
Previous to CERTAM tests, other measurements made confirmed the above results.
Tests performed in a Swiss public laboratory proved that toxic by-products levels are very low even very close to the ioniser's needles (1cm and 10cm). The difference between ozone level and nitrogen dioxide level with or without ioniser is of the same order as the measurement uncertainty (2 ppb), meaning that the variation is below the measurement apparatus accuracy.
Tests were performed by APAVE (private testing and measurement laboratory) in a french hospital to assess the impact of the ioniser on the density of 0.5μm particles. The particles density reduction with the ioniser is 70% higher than without ioniser.